Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trouble tracing a value

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
potentialunexplored
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2024 1:43 pm    Post subject: Trouble tracing a value Reply with quote

How's it going folks!👋
I'm trying to create a script that would let me change a value that controls the number of enemies being spawned, which I thought would be easy work, but I find myself in a predicament.

So here's the value I'm looking for, float 1314135, which I purposefully changed to that figure via developer tools provided with the game, for ease of finding it.
Issue is, this is a GetArray function and thousands of addresses go through it so probably not the best place to inject. (And I was unable to reliably differentiate the address I need anyway)
i.imgur. com/HBcuCPJ.png

Then the value shows up here
i.imgur. com/EwHEehc.png

Issue is, when trying to look at it in Memory View it doesn't actually show these instructions. Not sure what's the deal with that.
i.imgur. com/vMDEom7.png

Finally, we make it to a function that actually handles spawns. I've noticed these two very similar instructions, but it seems a lot is going through [esp+28] all the time.
i.imgur. com/SsntZth.png

I tried dissecting data/structures on 017BF874 (esp) but the value of 1314135 is nowhere to be found. Nor dissecting addresses being referenced by nearby instruction yielded any meaningful result.

So that's the gist of it, a bit at a loss what would be a good course of action here. Appreciate your help!
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When breaking and tracing an instruction that accesses multiple addresses, make sure it only triggers when it accesses the address you want by setting an appropriate start condition. An alternative is to do a break-and-trace using a data breakpoint (go to the address of the value in the bottom half of the memory viewer, right click menu; data breakpoints trigger after an instruction has executed).

potentialunexplored wrote:
Issue is, when trying to look at it in Memory View it doesn't actually show these instructions.
The game probably associates that symbol name with multiple addresses. In other words, the mapping from addresses to names is not injective. See your second picture- it seems the same symbol is also defined just beneath that.
When CE tries to do the inverse of that- mapping names to addresses- CE arbitrarily picks one of the addresses associated with that symbol name.

EIP (the instruction pointer) points to the instruction being executed. Go to 6C8DBBFB instead.

Finally, we make it to a function that actually handles spawns. I've noticed these two very similar instructions, but it seems a lot is going through [esp+28] all the time.
ESP points to the thread's stack. ESP+X is a local variable in the function being executed (or possibly a parameter). Local variables are transient- they only live for the duration of the function call.
potentialunexplored
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate your reply ParkourPenguin!
Shortly after making this post I realized since this value gets set just once and then it's only read, I could try to see if it's findable via a byte sequence. And it was! Which worked out swimmingly.
However, I'm still interested to see if I can find it via tracing.

Quote:
EIP (the instruction pointer) points to the instruction being executed. Go to 6C8DBBFB instead.

I took a look into EIP here, and it's always this address 6C8DBBFB, which I guess is a good thing.
However, I'm not seeing any connection to what I need in there. Any suggestions?
i.imgur. com/Y4aLZnX.png
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look into EIP here...
That's the structure dissect. Using that on code will just result in garbage.

Open the memory viewer, right click in the disassembler (top half), select "Go to address", and enter in 6C8DBBFB (or whatever EIP is if you restarted the game and the code moved).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: