Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding multiple changing values

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fluff
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Finding multiple changing values Reply with quote

So, I'm slowly starting to learn Cheat Engine to actually use it rather than just use others tables but, In an older game I'm trying this on, I'm searching up for this game "mana" and while I can narrow it all the way down to 5 or 6 values, the problem is they all change when my Mana changes. I'm not sure what to look for on the forums to try to find the one that is actually involved or what exactly is happening, I want to use it for a learning experience mainly. I have gone through the entire CE Tutorial once, planning to do so again and keep doing it until I understand it all but I have the basic understanding all the way up to step 9 in the tutorial. Would any of those steps help me any way here in trying to figure out what I can do to freeze the value to what I set it as or any help from here would be appreciated.
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extraneous copies of values exist. It's a normal thing that happens- for example, when a value gets displayed on screen, sometimes a copy of the real value lingers in memory. These cached values are sometimes referred to as "visual" values and generally have no effect on the real value.

If all the values are the same thing and you really can't narrow it down any more (opening / closing menus, changing levels, etc.), just change them all. Or start changing them one by one until you find it.

If they're not all the same thing, try changing the ones that look most like what the value should be.

If you're doing unknown initial value and changed/unchanged scans, you might be in trouble. It could be that the real value is made up of several primitive values. This is commonly seen in novice value obfuscation techniques (xor). There's no easy way to tell you what to do in this case other than to play around with it and figure it out.

Fluff
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to find a few things out about it, Mana seems to have 3 values attached to it that are constantly changing depending on the mana that I have, while another 2 are for an entirely different aspect of the game, but while you're in a Dungeon it follows the same as the other 3 values. What I've found is I only need to change the 3 values and freeze them for it to freeze my mana, doing it 1 by one does nothing but revert it back to the other 2 values, and trying to find it's pointer leads me nowhere (Which is probably me just making some mistake along the way) but for now I've got it somewhat figured out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: