Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding Pointer for Slime Rancher Refinery Address

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterOfSlimez
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Finding Pointer for Slime Rancher Refinery Address Reply with quote

Let me first say I have been using cheat engine for many years. Any yet my relationship with the program has always been that of finding an address and changing it. Even though I almost exclusively play singleplayer games -and perhaps for that very reason- I tend to avoid trying to gain a constant advantage (as it takes away all the fun), instead only resorting to CE to replace lost items or whatever. This time, I simply want to have a table that shows the value of certain addresses without having to find them each time the game opens.

The refinery in the game has a cap on how many items it can have in it, and you can't take them out, the only way to decrease the amount of items is by crafting, something that I would rather not do every time I load up the game.

I found relations between the addresses of different items in the refinery, so my guess is that there is a single ("pointer"?-not quite sure, but a single value that may change each session but is the basis for all of the items). While I tried to find pointers for several items, each with a decimal offset of 16, each said [rax+0C] with rax ending in 020,030,040 for the first 3 items.

My thought is, if I can find the rax for even a single item in there, especially the first item (pink plorts), then instead of the second item being a different rax+0C, it could be the original rax+1C or something.

I was all set to give it a go, even spent an hour working up to the pointer section of the tutorial. It went great, it found the address and everything. For the tutorial. Not for slime rancher. I worked through it again, with slime rancher, tutorial, and two separate instances of cheat engine running. Step by step, until it came to searching for the pointer value. So I checked the internet for people who ran into this in the past. That was how I had even found out that pointers were what I needed to find the changed address after a restart.

No such luck. People are mentioning pointer scans, pointer maps, code injection, lua, c++, and I have to think that I am majorly overthinking this. I honestly just want to have a table of items and how many are in the refinery open on another monitor so I can grab whatever I am low on, and yet I have managed to spend 5 hours stumbling my way through the same process the tutorial outlined. I have tried clicking scan options, and CE either freezes or just is done scanning, not sure.

The problem is that while the process from the tutorial gives you what to do based on what is the the square brackets for (address accessed by) items, it just says to search for the value shown by "The value of the pointer needed to find this address is probably __", and when you search for it, it gives you a green address. I glanced at the next section of the tutorial, which is multi level pointers. I promptly closed it, as I doubt that is what is going on here.

When I search for the *probable* value, I get no results. I tried a LOT of ideas, still nothing.

So any advice anyone can give me, it would be greatly appreciated. And even if you don't think it will work or applies, go ahead. I said I tried a lot of stuff, but I have no clue what I am doing, so it was probably not even the right kinds of stuff to be trying. If you have slime rancher and are able to play around with the process, even better.
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterOfSlimez wrote:
I glanced at the next section of the tutorial, which is multi level pointers. I promptly closed it, as I doubt that is what is going on here.
You have little idea how software works at the level of machine code and shouldn't make assumptions like this.
MasterOfSlimez wrote:
When I search for the *probable* value, I get no results. I tried a LOT of ideas, still nothing.
Did you use the 8-byte value type or 4-byte?

Try the pointer scanner if you want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dyIrcx8Z8g

If that fails, there might not be any easy pointers to find. Use code injection instead. Search for "injection copy"
(it might be better to copy a non-static pointer to the array of items)

MasterOfSlimez
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, and I have taken another look at the relevant tutorial step (8), where the initial part of the process for multistep pointers is to find the first pointer, and find the pointers to that pointer. The trouble I am having is that I can't find the first pointer.

I tried all of the types one at a time and all at once. I know enough that the given probable value having letters and numbers excluded it being binary or float and such, but I also know that there are a lot of things I don't know, so I tried them anyway, just incase.

Also thank you for the video. I did run into a problem, at @~1:20 he clicks generate pointer map, and up until ~1:28 the process looks identical to what I just did, however the pointer scanner closes for him, while mine says:
Statistics
Unique pointer values in target:0
Scan duration: 0:00:00
Paths evaluated: 0
Paths / seconds: (0/s)
Static queue size: 0 Dynamic queue size:0
Results found: 0
Time spent writing: 0 (Nan%)
Lowest known path: FFFFFFFF - FFFFFFFF - FFFFFFFF - FFFFFFFF - FFFFFFFF - FFFFFFFF - FFFFFFFF - FFFFFFFF

I will definitely look into the code injection, I orignially stayed away from it because the wording describing it was that it would run the target though a function, and I don't want to change the values, I just want to know what they are. But y=x+0 is a function too, so I will give it a shot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: