Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dark mode color adjustments
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xMichael
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no antivirus.

I just found the registry values I think. They seem to work just fine. I'm able to edit them and the changes reflect in CE. Also changing the colors in CE also properly changes the registry values. So I still have the same problem, the color changes only apply after I choose the auto assembler syntax preferences and that has to be done every time I open/close the AA window.

So it must be a bug within CE and not registry?
LeFiXER
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an edge-case problem so it's unlikely to be CE. Rather an issue with your computer. If you have Windows then your anti-virus is Windows Defender and without executing some administrative tweaks within the policy editor/registry you can't fully disable it. Only turn it off; however, it still works in the background.

I want you to try something, boot up in safe mode and see if CE reflects the changes you make to the syntax highlighting.
xMichael
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, I have no antivirus. Defender is disabled.

As for reflecting changes, I also said that it already does reflect changes by both changing the preferences and registry. The problem is that it only works when clicking the preferences button in CE and only until it's closed. So basically its useless.

I have no issue with any other program either.
Pirulito
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same problem xMichael has. I love dark mode in CE but I have been fighting this color issue with no solution. Every time I open an Auto Assemble edit page, colors are back to default which are not appropriate for dark mode. I then use "Auto assembler syntax highlighting preferences" to quickly change four of the colors just to see them back to default if I close and reopen the same script again.
xMichael
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sad that it's been a year and it still wasn't fixed xD. Sounds like such a simple problem.
LeFiXER

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in all fairness you didn't bring it up any sooner and while people like to help we can't be devoted to resolving a single problem. Anyway, it's likely to be that the registry settings aren't being saved due to permissions whether that's a result of a setting based on your account within Windows, or a third-party security tool preventing such changes.

Navigate to this location in the registry to verify the changes you have made:
Code:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cheat Engine\AA Highlighter

Do the changes save when light mode is activated?
xMichael
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking to me? I've brought it up a year ago lol. My last post from then is even saying the registry is working fine.

I even reinstalled windows since then and nothing was changed about the issue. The Syntax Highlight color settings still don't save, they only work as temporary change until you close that window...

Light theme has the same issue.
Pirulito
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If LeFiXER is talking to me, I did not bring the subject before because, first, I am kind of lazy, secondly, I tend to wait a long time for an issue that came out of the blue to go away just the same way as it arrived, out of the blue. Since this issue is lasting longer than I hoped it would not, I decided to make a google search and found this one-year-old thread that does not look fresh at all, IOW, this is not a new problem (as I myself am a witness), and I read clearly that xMichael tried to fix it based on the tips here to no avail.

Anyway, if it has no solution, I will have to live with it until some new fact shows up or until it magically goes away the same way it started.

=========================================
(I tried to post a new reply with the message below and got a "You can't double post yet" message so i am posting it here as an "Edit".

Weird.
I have two keys in my Register under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\

Cheat Engine
Cheat EngineAA Highlighter dark

I guess this AA Highlighter dark should have been a sub-key of Cheat Engine.

Cheat Engine itself does not have an AA Highlighter sub-key.

I think I will try to create the subkeys manually and see if it fixes it.

=========================================

Something is definitely wrong with CE.
I used a VM to install a fresh CE, I watched the Registry key being created. After installation, just a few subkeys and one key, Cheat Engine.
Then, when you start CE for the first time, it creates a bunch of subkeys inside Cheat Engine key, clearly to save color schemes for the many dialogs of CE like Disassemblerview 120 and Dissassemblerview 120 dark, Hewview 120 and Hexview dark, RegisterView 120.
Then, when I edited for the first time the colors in a script, it created a new key, alongside Cheat Engine, the Cheat EngineAA Highlighter dark key with a bunch of subkeys, all related to the choice of colors for the parts of this dialog (script).
The bug was already there, no saving of the change in colors. I mean, CE is saving the new color scheme but it is not reading it, it seems.
Then I created a subkey named AA Highlighter dark inside Cheat Engine key and created ONE subkey inside it for the Number subkey, hoping that maybe CE was saving the color information in the wrong key and trying to read from the correct key (that I just created) and that did not exist.
Did not work.
In other words, this dark theme thing in CE is kind of messed up. Cannot be my computer's fault. Why it works for most users, why it doesn't for two users, me and xMichael, I have no idea.
LeFiXER

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant you didn't speak of it again since your last post xMichael. Threads get lost in the midst of other threads and it is easy to lose track of topics.

It shouldn't make much of a difference, but what version of Windows are you using? Not just the number (7, 8, 10, 11 etc...) but the edition too. Also, what kind of account are you using on Windows? (Local/online, guest, admin etc...)
xMichael
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the latest updated windows 10 professional (64bit). Idk what account am I using but it's the only one on my pc and it has admin privileges.
LeFiXER

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 10 can revert registry values due to some kind of overwrite protection. Make sure your account has read/write permissions for Cheat Engine and subsequent folders/files, and possibly also Regedit.

Also, did the changes reflect in the registry once you made them within Cheat Engine?
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is fixed in github after 7.4 was released

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: