Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pointers values not showing upon loading cheat table

View previous topic :: View next topic  
APerfectBidoof
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:39 am    Post subject: Pointers values not showing upon loading cheat table Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a problem when loading a cheat table that I previously created. I'll try to be as clear as possible.

So what I did in order :
1. I started the game, found the values I wanted to edit, found static addresses and made working pointers from those. Everything works fine and dandy at this point.
2. I save my table and close the game.
3. I come back later, launch the game, CE, and attach the game.

4. I open my previously-saved cheat table.
5. My pointers all seem to point to " ?? "

6. I find back a value I want to edit, whatever the value
7. I click "find out what accesses"
8. And that's it, as soon as the debugger starts, the pointers all list the right values, this is no more " ?? "

I obviously tried googling, but didn't find anything helpful.

Sorry if this is some simple mistake, any help and/or guidance is much appreciated.

Screenshots to better explain what I mean :

OMD_example1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.41 KB
 Viewed:  3253 Time(s)

OMD_example1.png

OMD_example2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.88 KB

OMD_example2.png

OMD_example3.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.8 KB

OMD_example3.png

OMD_example4.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.16 KB

OMD_example4.png

Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You picked the wrong base address/path

your path goes through debugger information. Try picking different/multiple addresses instead.

(using veh debug i assume?)

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
APerfectBidoof
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer.

So to answer :

- I do use VEH, using the win one causes programs to crash; googling around led me to change to VEH, which solved that problem. Was that a bad idea ?

- How do I make sure my path doesn't go through the debugger ? Also, how do I find other addresses ? What I do is the following :
-- Generally after scanning for a value (money in this example), I am left with only 2 results, which are a static address used for a UI, and a second address which can be edited and whose changes do reflect in-game. So I select that last address, then find out what accesses it. Then I look at what's called, in the registers, to find the previous address + offset.
And that's generally how I get my pointer.

Do you have any advice on how to do this properly ?

Thanks again for your fast anwser, I didn't expect it so soon

----

Edit : I followed your advice and looked for new pointers, this time however I used the "pointer scan for this address" option, sorted trough those, and now everything is working just fine ! Thanks !

I still do wonder whether I can achieve similar results with manual scanning ? Because the pointer scan can take quite a long time for some games (and my computer isn't recent). So being able to find that manually would be great.
KampfKoloss
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:14 pm    Post subject: Have found a thus far working fix for tables with "poin Reply with quote

A reply to: lamer/viewtopic.php?p=5771845&sid=3ac4866e613bbd703a2c752f6853101f
as I was having the exact same issues with every table using "pointers"

dubble click whatever is on Address then a small window will pop up and you look somewhere down but right above the useless numbers and spam, there you'll find a option ticked ON that says pointer. so like this " [x] pointer"
just turn it off like [ ] pointer, then once u do that it will start to actually look like something familair and working, and below and behold you can now change values AND turn it on. it may sound sarcastic but im really not. i just found this out and am surprised to not have to look for hours for a better cheat table that does not have pointers

i might be new to this but from the explanation everyone gives on so called "pointers" is super vague and basically what everyone is trying is to get u to believe that it makes sense of which it cant
pointers are just useless and thank fuck we can disable the pointer function...again whatever a pointer even could be

i guess what would be even better is staff or dev that know stuff of what their doing but instead this forum's staff are just trolling people with straight up nonesensicall gibberish with a lot of random numbers or something

Hope this works for you. IF not then I'll just give up on modern technology cus then nothing will work. good day
LeFiXER
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Have found a thus far working fix for tables with " Reply with quote

KampfKoloss wrote:

dubble click whatever is on Address then a small window will pop up and you look somewhere down but right above the useless numbers and spam, there you'll find a option ticked ON that says pointer. so like this " [x] pointer"
just turn it off like [ ] pointer, then once u do that it will start to actually look like something familair and working, and below and behold you can now change values AND turn it on. it may sound sarcastic but im really not. i just found this out and am surprised to not have to look for hours for a better cheat table that does not have pointers

i might be new to this but from the explanation everyone gives on so called "pointers" is super vague and basically what everyone is trying is to get u to believe that it makes sense of which it cant
pointers are just useless and thank fuck we can disable the pointer function...again whatever a pointer even could be

i guess what would be even better is staff or dev that know stuff of what their doing but instead this forum's staff are just trolling people with straight up nonesensicall gibberish with a lot of random numbers or something

Hope this works for you. IF not then I'll just give up on modern technology cus then nothing will work. good day

You just don't understand how pointers work. That's not the developer or staff's fault. As is the fault of your own for not understanding how memory works in a computer. Perhaps if you had less attitude and actually took the time to learn you would be more successful.
Xx XoTiC V1 xX
Cheater

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Have found a thus far working fix for tables with " Reply with quote

KampfKoloss wrote:

When I asked for help I certainly wasn't trolled or tossed around and there are programmers here that know a lot about this "Gibberish" you speak of that as mentioned you do not understand, pointers are literally your best bet in keeping addresses updated if there is dynamic memory involved and you are wanting more than manipulated code in a script. But be my guest and find something else, if you can. It seems you haven't learned everything about pointers nor do you know a lick of code, you can make a script and make your own pointer if you can't find one in the games memory. All this info is searchable if you'd take the time to do that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: