Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Future table downloads/trainer links
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Future table downloads/trainer links Reply with quote

With games becoming more and more online and laws are passed constantly to take away your rights to your own possessions, I think it's better to move the tables and trainers section to a place not owned by me.

Please post suggestions on where.
Also, cheat tables are pure text, so you should be able to post them anywhere you can post text.
e.g. : reddit , github, pastebin, facebook

but someone can also start a new forum, even it's a simple one as freeforums.net

and if you already have a forum where you can upload tables, that's fine as well

This is not a topic to complain about it

you can find a page with alternate places for cheat engine and tables in this list:
http://forum.cheatengine.org/thirdparty.php

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping

Last edited by Dark Byte on Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
resonance-structures
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will host the archived files for the community. Please PM me so we can establish a way for me to receive them.
SunBeam
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not complaining, but FUCK THE SYSTEM. I humbly accept your warning/post deletion.
Mai Eternal
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of managing tables via github

Aside from being hosted elsewhere there's built in version control. Additionally there will be no need to crawl through thousands of idiot forum replies during table development.

Is it allowed to post links to the git repo on the forums dark? Or do you wish to keep such things completely seperate from the forums?

Another idea would be to add a community extension into cheat engine, perhaps emulating something similar to discord / curse. C.E has, from the many years I've been using it, thrived beacuse of the community. Perhaps it's time to consider how this might be implemented into the tool itself.

Example:
* Anyone wishing to submit a table is given a form, (Stating username/game/github link/etc). Each form can be verified by CE Moderators?
* Have an sql database containing links to each git commit?
* For each entry in the db, have an auto generaited irc discussion channel?

Last edited by Mai Eternal on Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:24 am; edited 4 times in total
Codcat
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Future table downloads/trainer links Reply with quote

@Dark Byte

Can you leave the table/trainer section unlocked but disallow file attachments? The creators of tables can just put a link in their post to an offsite url.

If those sections stay locked/down I think it will be the death of the CE community, this is where I learnt a lot and shared my work. I'm sure many of the major authors will be very disappointed as well. There must be something to keep that section of the forum open without breaching any laws...

Last edited by Codcat on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
TechnoJacker
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forum uses phpBB. There should be a mod available that lets you change the attachment system to host files offsite.

Heres one for example:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=757785&hilit=ftp
It adds in FTP functionality to upload the attachments to another server.

If the infringement was against Cheat Engine for hosting CT files on the site, a potentially way around it is host them offsite and link to them. If someone is willing to host the files or if there is a mod that integrates into Github or another third party site it should get around the problem. To the end user, it will look like nothing has changed but you won't have any infringing files on the cheat engine server.

h3x1c
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would any of the regular rip-off artists care to let DB know where you'd like him to start storing tables so that you can continue profiting from the efforts of others that lower your workloads? Laughing

I'm just kidding around.

In all seriousness, even knowingly linking to tables externally can draw unwanted legal recourse. It doesn't matter what all the piracy warriors out there say, with enough money, an entity can cripple another with legal costs alone.

To that end, any one of us who knowingly reverse engineer any given game could potentially be up shit creek without a paddle if a publisher sought to legally obtain personal details of us from this forum or elsewhere.

Mind you, I'm not suggesting this is where things are heading, but this type of thing should give us all pause for reflection. It's still the wild west online, and where the gaming industry is concerned, this very forum and other sites like it are a HUGE target for companies to throw money at testing the legal waters on.

I'm painting a worst-case scenario here, but now that DB is in the thick of the shit, I think we should invest some effort in coming up with a more safe solution for DB and any of us who do this stuff regularly because we love it. Forgive me if I'm a bit paranoid at the moment, though.

Last edited by h3x1c on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Nibelton
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets host all tables/trainers on TPD Laughing
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Future table downloads/trainer links Reply with quote

Codcat wrote:
Can you leave the table/trainer section unlocked but disallow file attachments? The creators of tables can just put a link in their table to an offsite url.
-This may be the way to go, as it will allow for discussion/troubleshooting/etc. to stay here on CEF, making the communication line easier whilst not diverting traffic offsite. This does seem a bit ridiculous, however, since all tables/trainers/code/discussion etc. would still have to be single-player/offline focused, rendering efforts for offsite hosting pretty pointless.

Moderators would still need to monitor posts to ensure that members were not being lazy and trying to post their tables on CEF in text format.

Depending on how careful that you want to be, any images et al. that are hosted locally that might infringe on someone else's copyright may also have to be removed. If that is the case, then disabling ALL attachments in ALL sub-forums might be the necessary recourse.

All that being said, as previously stated, that may not be enough to keep the vultures away.

Unfortunately, if you really want to insulate yourself, then that exchange of information would need to take place offsite. Discussion can stay onsite, but any exchange of links would need to occur offsite - maybe an IRC channel or the like that is not associated with CEF.
Mai Eternal
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="h3x1c"] Forgive me if I'm a bit paranoid at the moment, though.[/quote]

I don't blame you but to be honest, just be strict with your alias'. The attack was directed at CE and its creator, not the users. DB has created something that is now widely used, by comparison to nearly a decade ago, so it's little wonder that they've started to attack him directly. It is my opinion that, aside from a dire need to go fuck themselves, companies trying to push the legal boundaries will eventually fail. To be quite honest I'm actually confused why they'd bother. The only times when they'd ever be affected is when people hack/cheat online and this has never been endorsed nor even tollerated here. Whoever decided to launch the attack is clearly an extremely fucking stupid cunt. Excuse my French.
Marcus101RR
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, why the hell not close down Cheat Engine and move to a complete new set? What I don't get is why a stupid extension of CT, which is nothing but text parsed by another program is illegal in any way?

I must be missing something that literally says you can't post CTs anymore...

So where do we get them now?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
h3x1c
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mai Eternal wrote:
Whoever decided to launch the attack is clearly an extremely fucking stupid cunt.

So, I mean...how do you REALLY feel about it? lol. Very Happy

I agree with your opinion. I know this is just a one-of, and ultimately it's not worth their time or money to pursue this niche in a heavy-handed manner, but it's more about the casualties along the way that I worry about. That anyone's life could just be completely fucked for something so trivial is a tough pill to swallow, but that's just my brain heading down the worst path possible, lol.

What's fascinating to me is how they rarely seem to go after other sites like UnknownCheats, MPGH, etc. that harbor much more legally-questionable content (relatively speaking). I guess because a free CT is low-hanging fruit for them to target or something. It's a raw deal either way, especially with as much emphasis as is placed around here to not hack multiplayer games.

Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey

how can i request for cheat tables now if the table request forum is locked
_Kirby26_
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not-cheats-here "dot" mboards "dot" com Here all of you can post your tables. Untill the site get down. You need to register.

I cant post urls, because of that i separate with spaces.
Alsigard
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is final decision on this? If we allowed to post links to tables then create new section with this new rule or move old tables to locked archive section, so we could post topics with links in tables section. If we are not allowed post even links, then thanks to all contributors who posted tables for years and as they say “Goodnight Sweet Prince”.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: