Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what is better for me learn openGl or learn Ogre?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paupav
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: what is better for me learn openGl or learn Ogre? Reply with quote

If i ever want some game?
atom0s

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you aren't really comparing two similar things..

OpenGL is a rendering engine alone. It contains nothing outside of the base engine to render things.

Ogre is a full game engine that wraps over various rendering engines (Direct3D, OpenGL, etc.) that includes various libraries for things such as sound, controls, networking, scripting, etc.

If you want to write your own game engine, go with learning the base OpenGL but you are going to have to learn a lot of other things to land up writing a full game.

If you want to write a game with things premade for you to cut on development time, go with using a game engine like Ogre.

paupav
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiccaan wrote:

OpenGL is a rendering engine alone. It contains nothing outside of the base engine to render things.

Ogre is a full game engine that wraps over various rendering engines (Direct3D, OpenGL, etc.) that includes various libraries for things such as sound, controls, networking, scripting, etc.

If you want to write your own game engine, go with learning the base OpenGL but you are going to have to learn a lot of other things to land up writing a full game.

If you want to write a game with things premade for you to cut on development time, go with using a game engine like Ogre.

Ogre is graphics engine, not game engine. at least that's what they said me on cplusplus.com
atom0s

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

paupav[/quote] wrote:
Wiccaan wrote:

Ogre is graphics engine, not game engine. at least that's what they said me on cplusplus.com

I have no idea why I mixed up Ogre with another project I was thinking about lol..

Anyway Ogre is a graphics engine that will automate more in-depth lower level rendering methods for you and make things similar to get started. But in the end it is just a series of wrappers that sit on top of Direct3D and OpenGL.

If you want to do things manually learn Direct3D or OpenGL yourself.
If you want simple calls to do things automatically, use Ogre.

In a indie development position you are best off using engines that have everything done for you to get started and branch into writing your own engine later own the road if the game becomes successful and has a purpose to do a sequel that would warrant a custom engine etc. Doing this will let you focus on the game itself and no worrying yourself to know the inside outs of the rendering base you are using. (Granted it is always good to get familiar with the rendering engine over time so you can know how to do various techniques and such.)

paupav
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiccaan wrote:
paupav
wrote:
Wiccaan wrote:

I have no idea why I mixed up Ogre with another project I was thinking about lol..

Anyway Ogre is a graphics engine that will automate more in-depth lower level rendering methods for you and make things similar to get started. But in the end it is just a series of wrappers that sit on top of Direct3D and OpenGL.

If you want to do things manually learn Direct3D or OpenGL yourself.
If you want simple calls to do things automatically, use Ogre.

In a indie development position you are best off using engines that have everything done for you to get started and branch into writing your own engine later own the road if the game becomes successful and has a purpose to do a sequel that would warrant a custom engine etc. Doing this will let you focus on the game itself and no worrying yourself to know the inside outs of the rendering base you are using. (Granted it is always good to get familiar with the rendering engine over time so you can know how to do various techniques and such.)[/quote]

ok, thanks you for your help, I think I will learn openGl.
yoni0505
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenGL is a low level graphics API.
OGRE is a graphics engine that can work with both OpenGL and DirectX.

Unless you want to learn how to make graphics engines, which will be a waste of time if you want to make games, you could pick a low level API like OpenGL. Low level graphics is a specialization.

Otherwise skip wasting time in reinventing wheels and pick OGRE. It's MIT license, it works well and have a good design.

I'm using it myself and it works great in every aspect.

Though keep in mind that it isn't something like "Unity3D" where every JavaScript coder can pick it up. You need to be decent with C++ and it will take quite a long time to complete the tutorials (took me 2 weeks doing 1-2 tutorials every day, each tutorial is 1-3 hours long).
don't let it turn you down, because you're learning a lot of important and useful stuff and you'll know what you're doing when you start a project.

One of the main disadvantages of making your own game engine, especially with 3D game engines which are not grid based (e.g. Minecraft) is that you need a level editor.
There are few open source level editors that work with OGRE and are simple "transformation" editors, that is all they do is edit position/rotation and maybe scale. The main disadvantage is that you need your level designer to be a 3D artist, and it's too much for user created levels if you're into enabling modding.

I'm currently working on a BSP-like level editor which suppose to work with any game engine as long as it has a compiler for it:
http://www.twitch.tv/enhex/c/4594723

as you can see it's inspired by Hammer. Though it's going to take quite a while before I get a basic working version.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Game Development All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: