Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with pointers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZhouYu
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Help with pointers Reply with quote

The best way to describe my issue is by going to this thread forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=497338 I am having the exact same issue. However the person says "NM I found it" but doesn't say how.

I found the address (it was a green one in 2bytes) and whenever I chagned it, it would revert back. So I checked what writes to this and found "mov [ecx + eax], ebx (and in this case the value for ecx + eax = address I already found, and if I search for "address is probably xxxx" I get over 3,000 address what I do a Hex search for that number (I did this across 3 games and all returned a really high amount). I tried the tutorials and still ame not sure if I am doing this right. Would the only solution be if I went through every address and tried adding them? And would the offset be whatever "eax" is in that example? Reading that other post the person who replied mentioned since it was green you already had the bad address and just needed the offset. I searched the forums and spent a couple hours trying it myself before posting. The thread I linked to has the exact same thing I've ran into (just a different game) so figured I'd link to that instead of posting a bunch of screen shots.
Pingo
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try nopping it to see if it actually does anything. Im not sure what dark byte calls those addresses but i call them mirror addies. They hold the value of the address you want but dont actually control say health.
I see it all the time, those static addresses which revert back to the original value if changed.
Even if this addy wasnt static, creating a pointer wont make a difference since the address would just revert back.

But that addy you have might not be anything. Try searching again.

How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pingo wrote:
Did you try nopping it to see if it actually does anything. Im not sure what dark byte calls those addresses but i call them mirror addies. They hold the value of the address you want but dont actually control say health.
I see it all the time, those static addresses which revert back to the original value if changed.
Even if this addy wasnt static, creating a pointer wont make a difference since the address would just revert back.

But that addy you have might not be anything. Try searching again.

Thanks for the reply!

I tried nopping the address and the game would freeze and require a restart of that game. Do you have any suggestions on how I could check for it a different way? I tried float, double, 2 and 4 byte. It only comes up in 2byte. Haven't been able to find any other way to get the address that might actually hold the data and not just something that holds the value but not the actual data.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: