Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game shuts down if certain strings detected in CE UI

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fade2gray
Cheater

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:56 am    Post subject: Game shuts down if certain strings detected in CE UI Reply with quote

The game has some kind of anti-cheat mechanism where, besides checking for the CE process name, it detects 14 strings out of the 2911 strings used in the CE interface.

I can prevent the game shutting down by using a Lua script to prepend a random character at the front of the 14 strings, but this doesn't work if the random character is appended at the end of the strings instead.

I'm just wondering how the game detects the strings at all?

atom0s

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 2:09 pm    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

Quote:
I can prevent the game shutting down by using a Lua script to prepend a random character at the front of the 14 strings, but this doesn't work if the random character is appended at the end of the strings instead.

This is a common means of string scanning where they are likely just looping through a hard-coded list of strings to look for and specifically scanning for that string and its given length while ignoring any additional data after the string itself, including a null character.

For example, if they are looking for the word 'cheat' and your UI has the word 'cheater', it will likely still consider this the same word and a valid match as they will do a compare for the 5 letters of 'cheat' while ignoring that there is still more characters in the actual string its part of. This is considered a partial match and is likely enough to trigger a detection.

Quote:
I'm just wondering how the game detects the strings at all?

The same way that Cheat Engine can scan for strings (and other data) in remote processes. Depending on how the anti-cheat is developed, there are a ton of different ways to obtain a valid handle to another process and then dump its various memory regions and scan for data within them. There's no one single means of doing this and will also depend on if the anti-cheat is doing its work in user mode or kernel mode (via a driver).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: