Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Allocating memory when hooked into Physical Memory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bismult
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:34 am    Post subject: Allocating memory when hooked into Physical Memory Reply with quote

I'm trying to make a script work when connected to Physical Memory, but every time I try to enable it, I get the following error: Failure allocating memory near XXXXXX. I've tried allocating nonpaged memory and specifying that location with the third parameter of alloc(), kalloc() in the auto assembler, and even globallalloc(). Everything results in the game either crashing or populating the aforementioned error. Any tips on how to fix this?
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memory addressing is relative to virtual memory, not physical memory. A physical address has no meaning to assembler code

you'll have to hook in the physical memory into the pagetale system of the target process and then use that entry to get the virtual address

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
bismult
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
memory addressing is relative to virtual memory, not physical memory. A physical address has no meaning to assembler code

you'll have to hook in the physical memory into the pagetale system of the target process and then use that entry to get the virtual address

The virtual address is not the issue; I'm able to find that easily. The issue is that I'm not able to edit the memory region around that virtual address. When hooking into Physical Memory, I'm able to then edit the address along with the region around it. I'm only not able to allocate memory when hooked into Physical Memory.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you open the process normally and allocate memory in there before switching to the physical memory?

Otherwise you'll still have to find out the pagetables for this process and fill in the physical memory address yourself for the virtual address you like

bismult
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
Can you open the process normally and allocate memory in there before switching to the physical memory?

Yes, I believe so.
bismult
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:

I was doing some testing with this, but the game keeps on crashing every time I enable the actual function of the script. Luckily, I'm able to allocate memory in the process normally before hooking into physical memory. Is there something I'm missing?
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the jmp instruction correct?
(You can't let CE generate the bytes for the jmp for you, you'll have to calculate it yourself based on the virtual address origin and virtual address destination (CE would pick the physical address origin which would be wrong)

or do a 14 byte 'jmp far as those are independent on location

bismult
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
Is the jmp instruction correct?
(You can't let CE generate the bytes for the jmp for you, you'll have to calculate it yourself based on the virtual address origin and virtual address destination (CE would pick the physical address origin which would be wrong)

or do a 14 byte 'jmp far as those are independent on location

14 byte jmp's cause me to crash as well. Since I can't allocate memory when hooked into physical memory, I'm hooking into the game, allocating memory at the physical address location, then hooking back into physical memory to activate the script. Is this causing issues?
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget the jmp back to the original code as well as the jmp from the physical address will be different

and your code isn't going to jump to the physical address of the allocated memory but it has to jump to the virtual address

bismult
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
don't forget the jmp back to the original code as well as the jmp from the physical address will be different

and your code isn't going to jump to the physical address of the allocated memory but it has to jump to the virtual address

So I have to allocate memory near the virtual address, hook into physical memory and jmp to the virtual address of the allocated memory, execute the code, and jmp back to the physical address?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: