Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turning a locked menu item ON - Mulligans in Career Mode
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smgreyuk
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah a new lead to try in terms of the memory viewer, thanks Autem.

I tried the following before reading your post

I started on the Career Settings Menu and hovered over Wind Gust (this just has ON/OFF options too) but you CAN change this value in this menu.

It was already set to OFF, so I did an exact search for the value 0 (byte) and got 2,949,570,841 search results

A - I then changed Wind Gust to ON and then searched for the exact value of 1 (byte) and got 210,433 search results

B - I then changed Wind Gust back to OFF and then searched for the exact value of 0 (byte) and got 80,219

I repeated A and B and got it down to 2 results but these results were flickering between 1 and 0 not corresponding to my menu changes to Wind Gust.

I tired again

I turned Wind Gust to ON, did a new search but this time used Binary Value Type with the Decimal radio button selected and searched for the value 1 - It returned 4,045,475,589 results

I turned Wind Gust to OFF, did a next search for 0 pressed search but it gave me a info message to say that it was still processing the first search, I then waited and waited and it finally came back with an error saying "Scan error:controler:invalid binary notation" so it looks like binary is off the table for some reason (maybe there is just too much to search for and goes over a buffer or something)

I repeated it for 2 bytes exact search and got it to 70 results, I set Wind Gust to ON and then hovered over the mulligan option and saw what each result was doing, the were all 1 apart from one address which read as 0

I changed this to 1 and it stayed at OFF for mulligans I came out of the menu and went back in, still said OFF.

I guess I keep checking each data type but I have a feeling the higher I go, the more unlikely it will represent this menu option...

But hey at least I have the memory viewer method to go on now too

Autem
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget in some games they might reverse the values where it's 0 = on and 1 = off. I always try and ask myself if there's some reverse way of scanning for something. Even with timers, some games count up for a timer and some count down.
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also keep in mind that you may need to NOP an instruction or two in order to prevent the target from overwriting important values.

I will reiterate that finding the call that is responsible for this toggle really is the best way, because even if you can find the value that handles the switch, the code that handles that value may not even get executed during the other game mode. There may also be other flags and values that need to be set (and accessed) in order things to function properly.

However, if you know which call(s) needs to get executed, then you can force the target to execute that call, which will not only give you access to what you want, but will allow you to set any other flags/values that may be necessary for this feature to work properly.
smgreyuk
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

++METHOS I do agree in recording the Mulligan Call in play would be the best solution to this, however as my PC is an AMD (no ultimap and no ultimap2), and given my experience that I had with the Code Filter approach crashing on me, I am not sure how else I can whittle down in game calls in a search. I haven't had any experience in doing this (other than the crashes I keep experiencing) so I am left to try and come at the problem from the menu instead.

The menu approach could be futile (and that's no disrespect to anyone who has tried to help with this approach)

I'll consider the reverse approach as well as looking up and down in the memory viewer when changing the menu option but other than that, I don't feel I have the right setup in order to record that in game mulligan call, unless there is something else out there.

You did mention CDA of course - that does look like another memory viewer... so that may do something that Cheat Engine can't perhaps?

I do really appreciate all of your help on this, I don't want to come across as spoilt, you've given me a lot to go on, I just wanted to give you a blow by blow of what's happening in as much detail as possible when I try your methods out.

I'll keep trucking for now Smile

++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your goals, you could always create a request for this at one of the 3rd-party sites.

I would take a look, but I am just too busy at the moment.

If you know someone else with a computer, then maybe you can try using theirs.

Good luck.
smgreyuk
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ++METHOS

You have been every so helpful as has Autem and m0rc0m.

Yes i was thinking of putting a 3rd party request in.

Another hurdle could be the fact that the career settings / data is server side, so it may be a no go in that sense, unless there is still a way around that.

Thanks again for all of your help

smgreyuk
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Autem,

When you say "You will be looking at memory viewer in byte decimal view during this test. I hope this makes sense how I'm explaining it."

I tried to set it to byte decimal form in Memory Viewer but I couldn't see the option. I can the data type in the scan section but not the Memory Viewer.

As for trying to find the right address, I am just shown a load of question marks and I scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll but it still shows question marks around the 7<and rest of address section> so I am not even sure I am using the memory viewer correctly...

Autem
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're asking about this comment, right?

Quote:
Another idea to consider is if the options you toggle are all in an array of bytes that's very easy to understand when you switch to byte decimal view in the memory view window. If you can find the array of bytes that toggles 0 and 1 for each on/off option in a row, you might visually see a pattern where every X amount of bytes is the next option's address/value in that array of bytes. Like in some games it might be:
0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 1
and if you figure out which one is the option RIGHT before Mulligans, you could then know which one to switch for Mulligans and then go test in-game to see if it worked. This type of table may potentially let you figure out which exact byte would be the one to adjust based on when you are changing the option right before the Mulligans. You will be looking at memory viewer in byte decimal view during this test. I hope this makes sense how I'm explaining it.

To do that, you'd have to have already found a value that is being affected when you change something in the options. Then you'd right click on that address and go to "browse this memory region" and then it should pop up. Values will be in the memory viewer now instead of question marks, and the addresses are on the left as well as their offsets along the top of that section. Right click in that area > display type > 1 byte decimal. Then examine the ones before and after the address you had used to enter memory viewer and if they're in the same order as the on screen options you might be able to tell just by eyeballing it which one is the mulligans value.

It's not a super clean method but I have absolutely had a few times where this method was what gave me my answer. So depending on the game and all that, it may be worth it.
smgreyuk
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Autem,

Thank you. I tried this approach first on the Career Mode Menu, but each option just had a number of bytes in its own section changing but in several addresses and I don't think each option is groped close together in memory at all (in order to to be able to judge where the mulligans could be switched on in memory)

I repeated this in the Global Settings for Mulligans, again this had around 23 memory addresses after extensive narrowing down.

There's just too much mystery to even find the memory address in the Career Mode Menu (that's if it is even findable this way.

As for the Global Settings Menu, I am wondering what address do I even fix in the Global Menu to be applied to the Career Mode Menu (if that is even an applicable approach to fix in one menu to expect the same in the other menu)?

I feel like the fact that there is two menus where I can change this desired value in one and cannot in the other - is possibly over complicating this solution.

I feel like I am getting nowhere with this.

In terms of asking for 3rd Party Help - I did see a request being made for a cheat table for this game but there's been no response to that request....

Autem
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what to suggest from there because it sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of what I would have tried and maybe it's just not going to work for that game.

Is this by chance a free game? It has me curious enough that I wouldn't mind trying a few things but to be honest if nothing any of us mentioned in this thread has helped solve it, I probably won't be the one that figures it out because I am nowhere near expert level with this stuff. If it's free I'll give it a try tho...?
smgreyuk
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Autem,

Unfortunately it is not free, currently coming in at £59.99 on Steam. I wouldn't expect you or anyone else to pay that just to help me out, but thank you so much for offering to do so Smile

Just a note to add, I tried editing something with a visual value (in this case it was experience points - integral to Career Mode) and I was able to track the value changes via searches but when editing the values and/or trying to lock these values it made no difference to the EXP Points in game

So strongly assuming that is server side, I can assume that trying to implement changing a game option in Career Mode that is not meant to be accessed due to server side values is also the case (unless there is another way around this but I wouldn't have a clue other than perhaps an actual hacked version of the .exe file perhaps)

I think I admit defeat on this one unless anyway else in the community has a silver bullet...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: