Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steam Deck CE Issue with Dragon Age Dark Arisen?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beguiler
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Steam Deck CE Issue with Dragon Age Dark Arisen? Reply with quote

I am having this weird issue. I have CE 7.5 running properly on steam deck but in one game it isn't working. The problem is I can select the game process, but the table can't find the module DDDA.exe. So I look under memory view but there are no DDDA.exe+#### addresses only direct ##### addresses. I have tried attaching CE to the CE exe and it properly shows the .exe+#### addresses as expected. But when I select the DDDA.exe memory view just shows the memory addresses. I also tried going to address "DDDA.exe" but it doesn't find it.

So I am stumped. Has anyone seen this issue before, or can point me in the right direction here for a workaround or fix?

ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you doing to launch CE and the game? You need to launch it under the same wine prefix and the same wine binary as the game is using. If you don't use the same prefix, CE shouldn't even be able to find the game, and if the wine binary is different, it's no surprise there may be bugs that pop up.
There's a script called protonhax that does most of it for you:
https://github.com/jcnils/protonhax

If it still doesn't work, it's probably a wine bug. Try a different proton version.

(native Linux games are completely different and use ceserver)

Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the game set to use proton experimental or an older build?

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
beguiler
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am launching with steamtinkerlaunch. It should be set up properly as I have tested with other games and it seems to work. I have tried several versions of proton, even delaying the launch of CE, but for some reason it just can't reference DDDA.exe. CE does find the process (it is listed it the processes I can attach CE to). It even "supposedly" attaches when I select it. But DDDA.exe cannot be referenced so things like aobscan cannot be used. I believe when I attach CE to the DDDA.exe file it does attach in some manner. but instead of the usual:
DDDA.exe+0 <code here>
it looks like:
000400000 <code here>

Thanks for the link, I'll give that hack a try later.

Dark Byte wrote:
is the game set to use proton experimental or an older build?

I have tried leaving it as the latest steam proton 8.x build not experimental. I have also tried an older protonGE. The game and CE are running at the same time it's just that it can't find the module DDDA.exe even after I selected it from the process list to attach it.

beguiler
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update. I couldn't figure out how to get it to work as it was so I worked around the issue. Since running the game in proton seemed to always put the game in the same memory location 00400000. I just changed all the aobscanmodule calls to aobscanregion and put the start region as 00400000 and an end region to 00400000+filesize of exe. It seems the table (or what I tried of it anyway) works in desktop mode at least after the modification. It's all kinds of messed up in game mode though. Wink
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works on other games but fails on this one in particular, I'd assume it's something this game is doing that's the problem. Maybe there's some sort of protection against interaction with other processes, or there's an eccentricity that's not implemented in wine.

You could diagnose this further by making API calls directly and see what happens.

One workaround might be registering symbols manually. e.g. Lua: `registerSymbol('game.exe',0x400000)`

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: