Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why not allow to choose a folder where to install?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HSergi
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:21 am    Post subject: Why not allow to choose a folder where to install? Reply with quote

Question. I just tried to install CE 7.5 and it installed Program Files. That's not where I store all my programs and it's bad design when programs like Google Chrome, Discord and some other don't allow the user to specify folder where to install.
AylinCE
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will work more stable over "Program Files".
However, you can open it from any folder and use it.
If you're too lazy to do this, here's a solution:
1) Finish the CE installation.

2) Take the CE folder from Program Files ("Cut", not by copying) and move it to the desired folder or drive.

3) Delete the icon that CE left on the Desktop during installation. (It will not work because the folder has been moved.)

4) Go to the moved CE folder, right click on "Cheat Engine.exe" and create a shortcut to Desktop from the "Send" menu.

5) Right-click on any ".CT" file, select the "Properties" tab, click the "Change" button in the "Open with" parameter and go to the new moved CE folder and select "Cheat Engine.exe", confirm, "Apply", " Click "OK". You should do the same method for ".Cetrainer" and if necessary "CeTrainer.exe".

Once "Apply" and "OK" confirm, the default path for all ".CTs" will be defined.

I moved this now from the "C:/" folder to the "D:/" folder and the same method worked. It seems to be ok, except it starts a little slow.

The decision is yours.

Do not underestimate me Master: You were a beginner in the past
HSergi
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AylinCE wrote:
I think it will work more stable over "Program Files".

What makes you say that? It's just a path, just like any other.

AylinCE wrote:

1) Finish the CE installation.

2) Take the CE folder from Program Files ("Cut", not by copying) and move it to the desired folder or drive.

3) Delete the icon that CE left on the Desktop during installation. (It will not work because the folder has been moved.)

4) Go to the moved CE folder, right click on "Cheat Engine.exe" and create a shortcut to Desktop from the "Send" menu.

5) Right-click on any ".CT" file, select the "Properties" tab, click the "Change" button in the "Open with" parameter and go to the new moved CE folder and select "Cheat Engine.exe", confirm, "Apply", " Click "OK". You should do the same method for ".Cetrainer" and if necessary "CeTrainer.exe".

Once "Apply" and "OK" confirm, the default path for all ".CTs" will be defined.

I moved this now from the "C:/" folder to the "D:/" folder and the same method worked. It seems to be ok, except it starts a little slow.

The decision is yours.

I did it differently back when I posted the thread: install CE, copy folder from the original Program Files folder to the one I have all of my programs, copied Cheat Engine 7.5 folder in the %AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder, uninstalled Cheat Engine 7.5 from Control Panel, copied back the Cheat Engine 7.5 to the %AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, then fixed all the shortcuts inside it to point to the executables where I moved the Cheat Engine itself.

But it's not good to make your users do this, especially when this feature was present in previous releases.
AylinCE
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HSergi wrote:
But it's not good to make your users do this, especially when this feature was present in previous releases.

This idea is just an exception.
I guess it doesn't affect the general public.

There are hardly any who complain about this (or who are looking for an exception).

Of course, as Windows and games evolve, PC memories can be organized in this case according to their response.

Nevertheless; I guess users don't see this as a problem.

Of course; The title and solutions here will be helpful for those looking for exceptions.

Do not underestimate me Master: You were a beginner in the past
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: