Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A reflection on what random spam actually was.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurifodo
I post too much

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:31 am    Post subject: A reflection on what random spam actually was. This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

I don't know where I'm going with this post. So my bad if it's all over the place.

You may remember me, I went by many names and held a few accounts. Clifford and Shot were probably the longest held aliases. Had accounts on Something Awful, BitcoinTalk, Neoseeker, etc...

My footprint online these days is mostly on twitter. I'm kind of a bitcoin shitposter. You can find me on twitter here: https://twitter.com/Pledditor

-----------

2008-2011 was peak Random Spam activity, but since it was mostly just middle school kids playing flash games, the quality of discussions was low. Lot of dumb threads and dumb drama. It was mostly just bleedover people from Map1eStory/Stick Arena/Adventur3Quest forums popping in to shitpost to RS. Shout out to those few who got me into bitcoin back then.

I'd say 2012-2016 was much more pleasant because the users weren't kids anymore and had more interesting life experiences to share. To me, those years were peak Random Spam as the quality > quantity balance was just right. Probably had 50 semi-regulars and like 15 regulars who returned daily. Type of content/userbase posted felt like an extension of 4chan. Threads were probably 20% tech stuff, 20% video game stuff, 20% music stuff, 20% funny memes. and the final 20% drama (the entertaining kind).

2017-2020 Random Spam was still "active", as in a group of maybe 15 or so people logged in a few times a week to post. But activity was dwindling during those years as RS gained 0 new people to replace the ones that left. It was mostly just myself, Brolock, Kyle, Talix, Shrooms, IndianGuy, and Augustine. You could smell the decay in the air as Shroom's schizo freakouts was encompassing the forum

If I were engraving the gravestone for Random Spam, 2021 is the year I think RS died imo. That was the point where the longtime regulars stopped returning. It takes a minimum number of regulars to keep a conversation going, and there was a point in 2021 where RS fell below that threshold and never returned. This video sums Random Spam in 2021:

Link

2022-2023: Most of the new threads and posts are like high school reunions for anons on the internet. Looking back on our pasts with rose coloured glasses and feeling nostalgic of the "good ol days". It's certainly interesting, considering most of us joined during the years 2007-2009, which was about 15 years ago. 15 years is a pretty significant slice of someone's life, I assume most of you are in your late 20s to mid 30s by now.

It's kind of weird how we were all ended up here. Just some kids who cheated on some video games and decided to make the RS section a hangout place. There was never a reason for us to be here, it was all just a happy accident that so many people enjoyed the community enough that they kept returning.

-----------

Story time: how I found this place

I was 16 years old, and I did not have the PS3/360 like all the other cool kids. My family had a desktop computer so I gravitated to the next best thing: flash games. Problem was, flash games were so basic and the entertainment value only takes you so many miles, so in order to get more entertainment out of the games I downloaded cheat engine. I was young and did not really understand what I was doing, so I made an account here and asked questions. That was how it all started.

Summer vacation when I was 16 years old, I made my very first trainer for a flash game called Stick Arena. It was made in visual basic, but it was actually a pretty solid program for a 15 year old.

I was originally in the flash game sections and didn't really venture out. Then I learned Random Spam was like 10 times more active than any other forum, as it was basically a place where rules were non existent. A lot of the same flash game people were over there and so I moved a lot of my conversations over there too. But at some point, I began returning to Random Spam not because I wanted to talk about technical topics about Cheat Engine, but because I just wanted to talk to the like minded people I met on the internet about whatever topic was hot at the moment. And really, that's the reason why I kept returning all those years later. I felt like some smart people browsed this website and gave valuable commentary on various topics (or at the very least entertaining drama).

--------

I'm pleased to see Dark Byte is still here doing his thing in 2023, giving support to users asking questions and keeping Cheat Engine updated. He is one of the internet's unsung heroes for sure. In my mind, he's up there with Satoshi Nakamoto and Julian Assange.

Last edited by Kurifodo on Wed May 10, 2023 11:36 am; edited 2 times in total
waking up finnegan
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised i made it !!

drop your discords if you're amongst the dust collected and settled about
Kurifodo
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waking up finnegan wrote:
Surprised i made it !!

drop your discords if you're amongst the dust collected and settled about

Are you someone I should know? I don't recognize your username.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Pledditor
Discord: Pledditor#3500
Epic Games: ClifforK
Steam: Pleddit

Rozen2
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't remember clifford/shot. just only remember that I did hung out with vent krew with tyler xdev and thanh link?(rip) a bit. then played a lot of league with bisa, KMC, butters (calbby), sterloing and akae (gar as fuck dude)
Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clifford is a big red dog, you are full of it! Very Happy
But it's nice to see random spam!
waking up finnegan
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rozen2 wrote:
don't remember clifford/shot. just only remember that I did hung out with vent krew with tyler xdev and thanh link?(rip) a bit. then played a lot of league with bisa, KMC, butters (calbby), sterloing and akae (gar as fuck dude)

memory sharing is forbidden without dropping contact info

dump discord/twitter/both
Benji
Random spam moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, chief. It was oddly nostalgic to be reminded about the odd timeframe of CEF.

For me it all started on new year's eve, 2007>2008. It was a lonely day for this semi-autistic oddball of a 12 y/o kid. I believe I initially came here for some basic script-kiddie support on CEF, but I quickly fell in love with the RS community and stayed for many years to come.

My relationship with y'all was turbulent, as I loved trolling/shitposting. Caused quite some drama and chaos, made many friends and enemies (as far as teenage-forum-war-enemies can go). I did develop a lot of my computer skills by reading up on the geeks of CEF their wisdom, however! One of my favorite times was when I developed Flash trainers quite successfully, it was so much fun working on requests and figuring out the cheating commands in VBA! Unfortunately, all of those files have been lost. I am so curious if they still look so great as they do in my mind.

And as Dark Byte is also Dutch, there was quite a large sub-community and a Dutch hidden sub-forum of RS. There is still the occasional annual shitpost in there, but there is no real activity there anymore. I met up with 5 different people from the Dutch community over the years, and one of those I still consider one of my best friends as we shared a lot with each other.

Anyway, thanks for reading my unguided ramblings and thoughts. Life is amazing now, engaged to the most beautiful woman in the world and I have a large social circle I consider my family <3

Random links:
My list of people I liked/disliked - https://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?p=3572937 (for some reason this was popular, see https://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=370418)
My game trainers - https://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=302445

Hit me up for my socials or PSN.

Last edited by Benji on Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Misa Campo
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading both posts brought back a lot of memories! I haven't logged into this account for years... I'm not sure what brought me back today, but CEF sure does look like a completely different place.

I hope all the people who were here back in the early 2010's are doing well.
waking up finnegan
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misa Campo wrote:
Reading both posts brought back a lot of memories! I haven't logged into this account for years... I'm not sure what brought me back today, but CEF sure does look like a completely different place.

I hope all the people who were here back in the early 2010's are doing well.

yeah those people from 00's can rot

newfags for life
SFP+
Comp. talk moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

post nudes pls
br0l0ck
Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2008-2011 was actually peak discussion bc our minds were still forming and we were trying to out discuss each other, always learning new things and new trolling/debating tactics. there wasnt a long enough history between us to have our personalities cemented so we were constantly growing and trying new things. once we all knew each other for years, there was no reason to try anything new or say anything different as we could all assume the other persons thoughts/position on a topic

and the internet was better in 2008-2011. in fact id say 2012 was the beginning of the decline of the internet in general
Nibelton
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tldr
[SPW]Killamoocow
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itt: "my puberty was peak random spam"

Channel GannoK
pffrt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[SPW]Killamoocow wrote:

ITT: supreme authorities over the validity of his peak have stated, it was mid

https://guildav.com
THIS IS JUST AN OPINION
teeigeryuh
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[SPW]Killamoocow wrote:

I thought one would miss out on a lot of life by living your teenage years like this but now that I'm older, I'm not so sure.

I remember konr/someoneelse here telling me I should hanging around potheads, great advice, wasn't wrong, but I noticed that spending your teens doing computer-stuff/studying on your own is most likely a better alternative if you got that type of personality/will.

ლ(╹◡╹ლ)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Random spam All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: