Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a way to find each unique instance of similar #s?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Autem
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Is there a way to find each unique instance of similar #s? Reply with quote

Is there a way to pull up unique instances of some long numbers that all start similarly? For instance...

They all start with the same 7 number sequence, but some of them appear in the game dozens (if not hundreds) of times each. Is it possible to find all instances of numbers that start with the same sequence, but only print one of each unique number?
cooleko
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. But before anyone should help you do this, you really should answer the why. What are you trying to accomplish and why do you think this is the solution?

Further, are you running a sliding window across all of memory or assuming some set structure?

Which number of the group are you looking to display (first, last, largest, smallest, random, median, mean, average, etc)?

Lastly, are you setting a specific digit for the repeating cutoff to be checked against? If not, are you envisioning performing analytics and creating a 'group' after the repetition exceeds a threshold?

It sounds like a terrible idea but the code would be easy to write in LUA.
Autem
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Good questions, sorry I wasn't more specific.

cooleko wrote:
Yes. But before anyone should help you do this, you really should answer the why. What are you trying to accomplish and why do you think this is the solution?

Certain chars and objects/items all have a similar starting sequence but duplicates appear many times over, sometimes 50+ times the same number. I am trying to have a list of each, but with only 1 instance of each unique number so it's easily readable by human eyes.

cooleko wrote:
Further, are you running a sliding window across all of memory or assuming some set structure?

Would like to scan everything (writable, executable, copy on write) across all memory to be sure none are missed. They will be 8 byte values, but if possible would also be good to check utf-8 and utf-16 strings to be sure none are missed. When searching by hand, there were times I found them as strings.

cooleko wrote:
Which number of the group are you looking to display (first, last, largest, smallest, random, median, mean, average, etc)?

I want the full 8 byte value shown (and if possible the strings that have the same amount of digits).

cooleko wrote:
Lastly, are you setting a specific digit for the repeating cutoff to be checked against? If not, are you envisioning performing analytics and creating a 'group' after the repetition exceeds a threshold?

I'm not sure what you mean here. The unique numbers probably won't be too high in quantity once narrowed down to only 1 of each unique instance. Likely less than 30 but it's just that there are so many duplicates it's very hard for me to sift through and find the unique ones by hand.
cooleko
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might not quite grasp how big of a problem you are dealing with and how little value this proposed method will bring you.

Memory is huge. We are talking billions of addresses with values.

Most of those values are 'similar.' Every single float and double looks the same. Every single pointer to a region of memory looks the same. Every single repetition of op codes looks the same. None of the most common similarities relate to your desired end points.

You arent certain what you are looking for, the remaining ambiguity compounds and greatly increases your troubles. You will find an almost infinite number of ways to break down similar values. For example, if you have the value 9999999999 repeated 1000 times, is that 9*, 99*, 999×, 9999×, or so forth. Do that with every randomly similar value in memory and you have so many spurious results that what you sift through will be useless to your desired goals.

There likely exist cleaner and faster methods to accomplish your goal. Understanding what the values mean, so that you can build an intelligent and customized AOB would make the results meaningful. Even better, is there an instruction that will show you the real values right away (injection copy). Find a value, see what accesses it, then see what addresses the found instruction(s) also access. There are others but these two are where I would start.
Autem
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooleko wrote:
Find a value, see what accesses it, then see what addresses the found instruction(s) also access.

This seems to be the best way in my quick test just now. I've done this before but for some reason wasn't even thinking of it for this particular issue. The right instruction reveals the other desired addresses. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: