Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheat engine not working for GBA emulators

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine MacOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aulosian
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Cheat engine not working for GBA emulators Reply with quote

As the title says, cheat engine doesnt work with gba emulators.
Im not sure if it never did work in the first place, but what I know is that currently cheat engine doesnt work on gba emulators, at least for me.
Is there a way to fix this or is this just 'it is what it is' thing that I have to be like 'ok, cool, it just wont work'?

(emulators tested: Mgba and openemu with the game pokemon leafgreen)
(OS: 10.13.6 high sierra)
(version of cheat engine: Cheat engine 7.2)
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In what way doesn't it work?
Do you get an error when you try to open the process?
You don't find any results when doing an unknown initial value followed by changed value? (if you're only doing exact value scan, keep in mind you need to use big endian or limit to 1 byte)
The cheat table you use doesn't work?

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Aulosian
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the lack of clarification.
It doesnt work in that it is unable to find the values that I want to edit or need to edit.
So, to explain, I was able to do normal searches just fine: find the app, insert a specific value for an item (super potions, had 10, so I put 10 for example) I sold like 1 and then updated the search, but the updated search usually results to the search being lost (first search yield like 100k hits for example, second is like 0 or it gets 10 and then goes to 0)
I have done it with unknown value as well, but it resulted into me encountering changing values which were most likely for another part of the emulator. (to explain, unknown initial, sell potion, say decreased in value and repeat, usually only finds parts that change and skip from 0 to 153 or 10 to 0 and etc)
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you set the value type to 1 byte ?

Aulosian
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set the value into all the value of bytes and tested it with either super potions or potions or other items.
byte, 2 byte, 4 byte and 8 byte.
always resulted in what I was saying.
even when I think I did it right, it was incorrect and whatever I edited would do nothing or make the screen of the emulator flash (basically, it was flashing on and off with static like effects)
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep with 1 byte (0a 00 00 00 is 10 in 4 byte, but 0a 00 00 01 is a really high value. with 1 byte, it's correct in each case)

Also, the pokemon games are not a good starter game. They encrypt some of the values or store it in a way that's really weird (tried long ago, and it also sucks on windows)

Oh, do go to settings->scan settings, and check that mem_mapped is checked as well (scans will be slower)

Aulosian
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, thank you and oh wow, thats a great thing to hear, but glad to know it does work, pokemon just sucks.
Also I will do that ok!
im gonna download another rom and test out the gba emulator things that isnt pokemon then

Edit: just tested with final fantasy, it worked!
thanks for the help and sad to know pokemon game in general are funky

Second Edit: I found a way to use cheat engine on Pokemon for GBA, rather than editing the values of my items in the bag, I edit the values of the items I want to buy. So first find the path by slowly adding up the value. once you found the path, edit the value and after that, dont move and buy it. you'll buy like 250 for the cost of 1
HalfWolf
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Aulosian"]Ah ok, thank you and oh wow, thats a great thing to hear, but glad to know it does work, pokemon just sucks.
Also I will do that ok!
im gonna download another rom and test out the gba emulator things that isnt pokemon then

Edit: just tested with final fantasy, it worked!
thanks for the help and sad to know pokemon game in general are funky

Second Edit: I found a way to use cheat engine on Pokemon for GBA, rather than editing the values of my items in the bag, I edit the values of the items I want to buy. So first find the path by slowly adding up the value. once you found the path, edit the value and after that, dont move and buy it. you'll buy like 250 for the cost of 1[/quote]

On YouTube, I discovered a tutorial for hacking Pokémon fan games. I used the same x*2+1 method here, but the only thing that can be hacked is money. There is no experience, no other Pokémon, and so on. I can't even load any game in rmxp to enable debug mode. So, can anyone assist me in hacking the fan-made Pokémon game in psdk?

Consider the Pokémon special chapter. I'd like to change the Pokémon and items. There is also a hack to enable debug mode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine MacOS All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: