Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To Devs: Please make CE on SteamDeck easier.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnakeWildlife
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: To Devs: Please make CE on SteamDeck easier. Reply with quote

Had my deck for a while now but Linux has always been something i am admittedly TERRIBLE at using.

Proton made gaming accessible, but applications are a whole 'nother ball-game. Mostly i just use the Discover store to One-Click-Intall things i need. Swapped Winamp for Audacious with a Winamp skin for example.

I have found instructions in order to try and get CE working on Steam Deck, but my computer literacy isnt as up to par as you folks.

My request to the Developers of CheatEngine is simple, can we please get an easier method to install and launch your application on Steam Deck / Linux?

It would sure be helpful if i could just download your program in the Discovery store, and then just launch the application without the zig zaggery currently needed to get it going.

To an untrained Linux user like myself, it is currently a huge headache trying to run CE on Steam Deck.

I hope CE breaks the shackles placed on them by Microsoft, and become more universally easy to use across the OS's. Linux now more than ever, needs you to jump on board.
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked too much into it, but given licensing, I think only DB is allowed to package CE with flatpak. It wouldn't help that much anyway: the user is still responsible for allowing CE to access other processes.

Installing CE is pretty easy for me (Arch desktop, not steam deck). Just install wine and CE works. On Arch, the wine bottle needs ms fonts as well, but that's not too difficult.

For proton games, I use a wrapper script called protonhax. This lets you run CE in the same wine instance as the game.
For native Linux games, you need ceserver. Wrap it in a systemd service if you want.

Doing this correctly would involve porting CE to Linux. This task is far easier said than done.

Marcus101RR
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be easier to just install windows?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SnakeWildlife
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus101RR wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to just install windows?

Haha, i have been tempted, but im tired of giving microsoft money.

Plus too many issues, heres a few off the top of my head;
1. Windows Standby is just...awful.
2. Countless Windows background processes constantly brutalize your battery for no good enough reason. (SO much Disk usage running junk checks)
3. Changing the Wattage (underclocking/undervolting) in order to preserve battery is extremely inferior on windows. Besides the Power Option to reduce cpu usage (which also cannot automatically be changed PER GAME i launch) i would also have to setup custom profiles on MSI Afterburner for each game (oh wait, im limited to 5 profiles!! AHHHH), its a TOTAL NIGHTMARE to Tune-On-The-Go in windows for each game.

Unless they come up with a ''Windows Light'' for handheld devices, im just OUT, i cant deal with windows anymore. Its time to drop the crutches and walk freely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: