Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i9 slower that i5 in scan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Antoshick
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: i9 slower that i5 in scan Reply with quote

Hi, today i have updated CPU from i58400 to i911900k, also from msi z370 to gigabyte z590 autus elite ax.

First scan in CE now more faster, i think 3x fasters. But the, next scan, exactly - second scan, change value or increase, no matter, - more and more slower than it was on i5. CE show message that "still prcessing", and take many time for rescan. Dont't know why. Drivers on motherboard are all updated. SSD the same. All CE setings the same as it was for i5. PC work too now faster - so as i think CPU is fine.

I used Windows 11 also, but when tested i5 last time, t was too Windows 11.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's hard disk speed. Perhaps the controller the SSD is connected to is slower.

or you click next scan too soon because the scan finished quicker (still ssd bottleneck, you just notice is quicker now)

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Antoshick
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
That's hard disk speed. Perhaps the controller the SSD is connected to is slower.

or you click next scan too soon because the scan finished quicker (still ssd bottleneck, you just notice is quicker now)

For SSD motherboard have SATA 6Gb/s
Now tested, for float, Unknow value, first scan take 3 sec. and found 2.000.000.000 values. Then i wait 10 sec and make second scan - "increase value". Message "still processing" disapear after 40 sec. Then CE show how progress bar is changing and it take 4 - 5 sec for it. And done.

Maybe motherboard is bad, i hear now throttles squeak, or in motherboard, or in power supply unit, but not in videocard.

Processor temperature 35 - 45°C.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

Don't forget the usual culprit for disk access slowdown: anti virus

it's possible an anti virus is scanning the scanresult files to make sure CE didn't just write a virus to the temp folde

Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoshick wrote:
Then i wait 10 sec and make second scan - "increase value". Message "still processing" disapear after 40 sec. Then CE show how progress bar is changing and it take 4 - 5 sec for it. And done.
That's your write speed all right.
You dropped the context (clicked new scan) but at this point, Windows is still trying to write the shit from your previous scan to disk.
CE can't proceed until the OS is done with flashing the previous writes to the disk.
If you have plenty of free SATA ports, I'd recommend getting 4 to 6 (maybe even 8 SSDs) small but fast (64G or 128G) SDDs and setting them up in RAID 0 (striping). It will do wonders to your read/write speeds. Each new SSD you stripe through increases your write speeds. This helps even slow systems where a single SATA3 port is easily saturated.
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check CE settings. By default it writes to C: drive temp folder, if that's not where your fastest SSD is, change it.
Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, make sure you use 16KB scanbuffer (yes, smaller than the default is better).
Lastly, the transaction rate on your i9's RAM might be higher (2) than what you had in your i5's RAM (1?). Often times downclocking allows for a better rate. Loot for the big T in your RAM settings. 1T is faster than 2T, even at lower clocks.
Antoshick
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, today I changed the motherboard to another one under warranty and started the computer.
Now I am using asus z590 tf gaming plus (no wi-fi version), and i9 11900k.

After some tests I have this result -
1) 3-4 seconds for the first scan (float, unknown, found 2.000.000.000
2) then wait 10 -13 seconds
3) then a second scan taking 3-4 seconds (remains about 1.000.000.000)

Disabling antivirus (Eset) had no effect. Installing 16Kb instead of 512Kb did not affect either.
I have all 3 SSD drives, 1 Tb each.

The board that I returned was squeaking heavily with throttles, (gigabyte z590 autus eliteax), and also had to wait 40 seconds with it to start the second scan. On the new asus motherboard, there are also some squeaky chokes, but at least not so loud.

Maybe it's her fault with scan (i mean gigabyte z590 autus eliteax and 40 seconds).

Now I understand, you just need to wait ~10 seconds, and this is the norm for CE. Thanks everyone.
Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoshick wrote:
Now I understand, you just need to wait ~10 seconds, and this is the norm for CE. Thanks everyone.

Hmmm. With 3 SSDs striped that should have came down substantially.
Also, you are waiting for the OS, not CE Wink

I wish I had the cash for that gear.
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have been really crap mobo if replacing it actually made a difference Laughing

That money would have been well-spent on getting a gen4 NVME SSD, lightning fast. I use that and my specs are pretty pathetic compared to yours (still on a gtx970 lol) but the scanning speed is awesome.

Also you will notice a massive difference if you trash that antivirus. I can't believe how people sacrifice so much performance just for some protection against imaginary threats.

Antoshick
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STN wrote:
Must have been really crap mobo if replacing it actually made a difference Laughing

That money would have been well-spent on getting a gen4 NVME SSD, lightning fast. I use that and my specs are pretty pathetic compared to yours (still on a gtx970 lol) but the scanning speed is awesome.

Also you will notice a massive difference if you trash that antivirus. I can't believe how people sacrifice so much performance just for some protection against imaginary threats.

As far as I understand from comparisons on the Internet, NVME is faster only for copying large files, in all other cases it is similar to a simple SSD. In general, I'm in favor of using it too.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
NVME is faster only for copying large files

Guess what's going on in CE after a scan ?

Antoshick
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
Quote:
NVME is faster only for copying large files

Guess what's going on in CE after a scan ?

OK, but I also read that NVME lose their speed due to frequent access to it. For example, I recently read about it on the forza horizon 5 forum in steam. That every next lap of the race the game was slowing down more and more.
Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STN wrote:
I can't believe how people sacrifice so much performance just for some protection against imaginary threats.

I heard this in an alien movie I think, it was said when one of the badasses was asked about carrying some items:
"I think it's a bit like having condom with you. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it".
Something like that.
People are scared from all the bad news you can read around.
They want that false sense of security for when they do something stupid - like when they download crap from untrusted sources install it, when they open attachments and when they click on shit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: