Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Study IT Course?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taozhi
Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Study IT Course? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm really interested in computer's programming language like C++, Visual Basic and etc..
I am currently serving the Nation, and planning what should i study after i finish serving my nation. But i don't know what i should study. Any advice?

What i want to be able to do after studying:

Understand Programming languages,
Able to understand and use stuff like OllyDbg & other related program.
Able to know what are those jmp[eax] stuff.
Be able to create my very own software; Rough example Packet Editor, Bots & etc.

What i really wanna know is, study what for IT..? i heard there're different types of stuff.. what i want has been mentioned above but i'm totally lost..

Thanks, will appreciate it alot if anyone can guide me on what type of IT course to study regarding above..
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

Embedded software engineering would be a start.
You'll learn low level stuff that the usual software engineering wussies don't get

And also add in some normal software engineering so you know how to develop software without it turning into a pile of useless unmaintainable crap

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
taozhi
Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dark Byte.
Found afew institude with Software Engineering course.
Can't wait to take up the courses & complete.
Hope hacking game will become hobby for me by then Smile
ipivb
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe these subjects fall under the category of Computer Science. At least in American universities, IT courses are more aimed at things like troubleshooting software/hardware and setting up networks (and there is a much higher demand for these jobs, although they pay less). I may be wrong or only partially correct.

What DB recommended sounds good, but I wouldn't call it a starting course. Before you get into the grungy details of exactly how the processor works on a super-low level, you will need to understand the basics of program flow. So to start off, you may want to go with a beginner's class in general programming. Preferably one focused on C++, since it is the industry standard... but any general programming course should give you the basics of program flow, good coding practices, etc. You definitely don't want to get discouraged from starting off with something too advanced. But when picking classes, the general info should give you a list of classes or skills/knowledge that is recommended to have first.

After the general programming course and advanced programming course, I would then recommend something like embedded software engineering.

Remember though, most things you learn in a college course can be learned from the internet. The difference is the more structured learning method and real life interaction with fellow colleagues that a universities offers. The benefit of the online or by-book learning method is that it's easier to go at your own pace. It's best to combine both, but I can tell you that you do not want to be wasting your money on a degree to nowhere (and there's a lot of degrees to nowhere being handed out right now).

If you want to hack as a hobby, I would suggest thinking twice about spending your hard earned money on a college course. If you are wanting to do it as a profession... well, good luck finding a job, because you'll need it. Of course it is my dream to one day program video games (preferably gameplay programming), but it's unlikely that will ever be more than a dream, simply because landing a top-paying job in the industry is almost literally a one in a million chance. Instead I'll probably end up being "the IT guy", because although it pays less, I'll still be able to afford a decent living off setting up networks and fixing computers.
taozhi
Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i am considering it as a profession.. what would be best for me to start off and advance into if i want it to be my profession..?
Geri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you want to hack as a hobby, I would suggest thinking twice about spending your hard earned money on a college course. If you are wanting to do it as a profession... well, good luck finding a job, because you'll need it. Of course it is my dream to one day program video games (preferably gameplay programming), but it's unlikely that will ever be more than a dream, simply because landing a top-paying job in the industry is almost literally a one in a million chance. Instead I'll probably end up being "the IT guy", because although it pays less, I'll still be able to afford a decent living off setting up networks and fixing computers.

Game developers are not earning sky high amounts. At least the average developers. If You are a top dog, of course it is different. Good "IT guys" are earning almost the same amount as average developers. At least that was my experience. But this may be different if You work for some giant like Blizzard or Valve, though I doubt that they pay more than it is neccessary.

If you are interested in any of my crappy articles/tutorials about CE and game hacking, you can find them here:
http://www.szemelyesintegracio.hu/cheats/41-game-hacking-articles

Don't request cheats or updates.
ipivb
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, I was talking about the top dogs.

The main things I was pointing out is that if you compare game developers with IT guys, one of them has a *lot* more jobs and you can probably guess which one. So if they earn the same amount... from a logical perspective, it only makes sense to go with being the IT guy.
If you are super determined to be a game developer, then do it... but understand you're taking a huge risk of getting a degree to nowhere.

An even bigger risk is being a hacker as a profession. The only legitimate jobs (no offense DB) I can think of are ones where you perhaps work as a tester to see how easy it is to crack/reverse engineer a certain code or software... and those jobs would be even harder to come by than a game developer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: