MantisBT - Cheat Engine
View Issue Details
0000050Cheat Enginepublic2008-07-11 20:022008-11-11 04:38
ReporterCsimbi 
Assigned ToDark Byte 
PrioritynormalSeverityblockReproducibilityalways
StatusresolvedResolutionfixed 
PlatformOSOS Version
Summary0000050: CE 5.4.2 cannot find the right address
DescriptionI am trying to find the addresses of the resources in Warlords Battlecry II - 1.04 beta patch. I could not find the values no matter what I tried, so I decided to give a go for TSearch 1.6b. I realized that the number of addresses is not the same for the first search.

I have CE 5.4.2.

I start a search for unknown values (4 bytes int).
After hitting first scan, the number of addresses displayed is:
165875712

I start TSearch, too and start a scan for unknown values as well (again, 4 bytes int).
After hitting ok, the number of addresses displayed is:
167695720

I go back to the game, let it go for a few secs to update the value and I search for "changed" values.
CE shows: 136913
TS shows: 154212

I go back to the game, but immediately ALT+TAB back to windows (to filter out game ticks, music, etc changes in the memory). Then, I continue searching for "unchanged" values.
CE shows: 57610
TS shows: 58230

I do the same thing again then I continue searching for "unchanged" values.
CE shows: 45947
TS shows: 46494

I go back to the game do not un-pause it, purchase something, and I search for "changed" values.
CE shows: 43337
TS shows: 43447

I go back to the game, do not un-pause it, cancel the previous purchase and I search for "changed" values.
CE shows: 42552
TS shows: 42587

I go back to the game, let the game run for a while to increase the money and I search for "changed" values.
CE shows: 1473
TS shows: 1511

Some more searches:
CE/TS
292/310
253/271
118/130
84/96
72/84
5/13

By trial and error and found out the right address.
Guess what: it was NOT on the list of the addresses found by CE!
So, it seems that there is something wrong with CE.

I repeated the test once again (naturally the numbers differ), but CE still could not find the right address - maybe it did not even search the right memory addresses in the first place?

If you


Additional InformationIn CE settings, I ticked the first two of these checkboxes:
MEM_PRIVATE
MEM_IMAGE
MEM_MAPPED

If you need further testing, please email me!
TagsNo tags attached.
Attached Files

Notes
(0000098)
Dark Byte   
2008-07-14 02:41   
could have to do with 0000049
(0000188)
Dark Byte   
2008-11-11 04:38   
fixed a scan routine in 5.4.3 that had to do with regions it scanned. Could be the cause of this particular problem as well (seeing the regions weren't split up correctly)

Issue History
2008-07-11 20:02CsimbiNew Issue
2008-07-14 02:41Dark ByteNote Added: 0000098
2008-07-14 02:41Dark ByteStatusnew => acknowledged
2008-11-11 04:38Dark ByteNote Added: 0000188
2008-11-11 04:38Dark ByteStatusacknowledged => resolved
2008-11-11 04:38Dark ByteResolutionopen => fixed
2008-11-11 04:38Dark ByteAssigned To => Dark Byte