Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game crashes when freezing pointers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
V1tamin
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:22 pm    Post subject: Game crashes when freezing pointers Reply with quote

Hello, dear community,

I was playing around with Cheat Engine, following the 'Game Hacking. Developing autonomous Bots for online games' book.

I'm stuck with the pointers (chapter 1, p. 17-1Cool. I downloaded the test app and followed the instructions, found pointers, restarted the "game", and did rescan to find the pointers again. Then I restarted the app again to see if the pointers were still working. They were working. I clicked "Active", and... the "game" crashed.

I found the "game" sources and made a bare minimum app using these sources (it was a console app; I can post sources here if needed) to see if it was working. I did the same manipulations again with my app, and it seems to be working correctly, no crashes.

So, my question is:
can it happen due to the Windows version? I'm using Win10 while the author (according to the screenshots in the book) was using Win7. Does it really matter (the game is using allegro5 library, so I assume, that version might conflict somehow with the newer Windows), or am I doing something completely wrong? And can it be somehow fixed? I know this issue is not unique, but I didn't find a solution.

Thank you.
V1tamin
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issue solved. Hint: the pointers were incorrect indeed. I tried enabling the "Improve pointerscan with gathered heap data" and it worked like a charm - not only did I find fewer pointers and faster, but also it was the correct pointer.

Hope that helps the next generations of researchers.

Thread can be closed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: